Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Groovy Uncle featuring Suzi Chunk - One Vowel Away From The Truth. OUT NOW.


Every now and then a record comes along that seems to transport me back in time and this is one such record.
 After playing the first few tracks, I started reminiscing about sitting in a coffee shop somewhere around the end of the sixties or the very early seventies and I distinctly remembering the radio playing in the shop and it was playing songs, that I now know to be, Lovin' Spoonful, The Beatles (who I was already aware of even then), Dusty Springfield and a whole load of other great songs.
 I have no idea where we were going that day or why but I remember hearing that radio and the songs that were played really struck a chord and that music of that era has stayed with me ever since.
 So why did this record take me back to that magical moment?  Well, probably because it has, firstly great songs and secondly they give a very healthy nod to that era of great music that I love every bit as much as Groovy Uncle obviously does, the music is timeless really though, like jeans and T-shirts are to fashion.
Suzi Chunk has a voice that is very powerful and not dis-similar to Dusty Springfield, I reviewed her album "Girl From The Neck Down" on the blog and absolutely fell in love with it and I think I am right in saying that her band on that album was Groovy Uncle and they really are a fantastic pairing.


"One Vowel Away From The Truth" was recorded at the Sandgate Sound studio in Kent using vintage anologue equipment which gives the album a real warmth that you simply can't capture with digital equipment and the production is fantastic.  The album is driven along from start to finish with horns, harpsichord and a whole array of instruments that you may not be expecting but fits in beautifully with the concept of making an album with a retro sixties sound.
In summary, this is one of the best albums out there that wasn't recorded in the sixties, in my humble opinion, of course, the only thing that gives it away as not being from that era is some of the terminology used in the lyrics, but that sits just fine with me, we can say that we have a great record from our time too.


I would definately recommend this album to any of my friends looking to discover something new, this is, without a doubt, one of my favourite records of the year and I am sure it will continue to be so for many years to come.

You can check out a few of the songs from the album over on the Groovy Uncle facebook page, give them a like and share the love: HERE

Buy the album here: Ebay or here Official Website


No comments:

Post a Comment